I’ve never been disciplined when it comes to drinking water. A common recommendation is that you should drink half of your body weight in ounces. 150 lbs. = 75 ounces of water a day. Yikes, right? It’s a lot, but it’s vital.
A dear friend challenged me to be a better water drinker. I quickly said, “Let’s do this.” The results were really amazing. I felt more energetic on the days that I really drank my full share. I also snacked less. On the days that I didn’t complete the challenge, my body craved water. Really cool.
WHY WE NEED WATER
You’ve probably heard it a million times: 8 glasses of water a day. Most of us don’t think much of water. It’s boring. And all that running to the bathroom! Well, I ask you to please reconsider. The following reasons may encourage you:
- Our bodies are 60% water.
- Water helps your body get rid of junk and the toxic load we take on each day.
- Proper water intake makes your skin look brighter and healthier.
- Drinking more water= having more energy.
- It helps keep you “regular.”
- More water may help prevent heart disease.
- And finally- a real life example… a family member of mine started drinking more water and she lost 6 pounds in a month! Water can help you lose weight.
SO HERE’S HOW THE CHALLENGE WORKS…
- Pick a loved one who needs to drink more water.
- Tell them that you challenge them to be a better water drinker for one month- and that you will do it too! Note: strive for half of your weight in ounces. (medical disclaimer)
- Take turns texting, calling, or emailing each other daily for accountability. When me and my friend did this challenge, we sent each other a daily bible verse- taking turns- as a gentle and encouraging reminder.
- Note how different you feel. I bet you’ll keep going after the month is over.
- Get together after a month, have a romantic comedy movie marathon, stay up until 2AM and celebrate all that new energy you have!
- Please share this challenge with your friends.
TIPS THAT MAY HELP YOU DRINK MORE WATER
- Get yourself a fancy glass or stainless steel bottle to carry around with you throughout the day.
- I find that drinking my water room temperature is much easier than trying to drink very cold water.
- Drink much of your water earlier in the day. As the day progressed, I noticed I would forget about the challenge a bit.
- Please remember that you may have to use the restroom more in the beginning but your body will likely adjust. Mine did.
- Add some fruit to your water (lemon, lime, strawberry.) Or even cucumber. Very refreshing!
- Try a drop of essential oil in your water every now and again. I love lemon. Grapefruit and Wild Orange are also delish. Please only use Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade oils. You can purchase them here. And read more about them here.
- Get a purification system for your tap water. It will taste much better and be better for you. We love Aquasana brand.
I wish you the best on your journey to better health. Please let me know how the challenge is going for you. Are there any tips you would like to give to fellow readers? Please comment.
This post contains an affiliate link. I only recommend products I love and trust. If you purchase products via my links, I may earn a small commission. It helps me support this passion of mine.